CRT therapists and engineers are experienced in evaluating products used by persons with disabilities. If your company would benefit from independent clinical evaluation or collaborative research and development, CRT can help. Generally, these initiatives can take three forms:
1. Informal review of a product or prototype involves discussing a device during a meeting and offering feedback about potential users, competing products and design input.
2. Independent clinical evaluation involves providing the device to potential users and measuring the usability and functional benefits of the product or prototype.
3. Combination of clinical evaluation and development combines monitored use of a device by potential users with assistance in design changes to improve the function and commercial potential of the device.
The informal product review is offered free as a service to assistive technology designers and manufacturers. Because of the staff time required for clinical evaluation and research and development, these initiatives will require a contract with HHH and the NYS DOH. Costs will depend on staff time, number of subjects and other associated costs of the testing. CRT has experience writing Small Business Innovation Research grants and qualifies as a partner for Small Business Technology Transfer Research grants. Please contact CRT for additional information at 845-786-4123.
Testing of any Assistive Technology (AT) product will be considered, however CRT has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Wheelchair cushions and postural supports
- Manual and powered wheelchairs
- Seats and chairs, mattresses, beds and mattress overlays
- Pressure ulcer prevention products
- Alternative computer input – hardware and software
- Alternative and augmentative communication devices
- Environmental Aids to Daily Living