The cardiopulmonary team uses a “patient first” philosophy when designing an individualized treatment plan to meet each patient’s specific needs and goals. Skilled physical and occupational therapists and nurses who are dysrhythmia qualified work collaboratively with a board certified physician specializing in cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation to assure that medical, physical, and emotional needs are addressed during recovery from an acute illness or surgery. Working together toward the patient’s goals, the team also includes a case manager, respiratory therapist,dietician, and a licensed mental health counselor. They frequently call upon other committed professionals, such as mental health professionals, speech therapists, exercise physiologists and members of our talented medical staff. The team encourages collaboration with the patient and their family and invites the patient’s family to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family training. The overall goal is for our patients to have a safe discharge plan.
There are many conditions that bring patients to Helen Hayes Hospital for inpatient cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, but generally it is following cardiac or lung surgery or after a complicated hospitalization for heart or lung disease.
Customized Treatment Plan
The goals of the inpatient Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Program are tailored to meet the specific needs of each patient. Individual goals may include stabilization of cardiac or pulmonary symptoms, medication and oxygen management, independence in self-care at home, improved ability to safely walk at home and in the community, the ability to perform a home exercise program and attend an outpatient exercise program and/or return to work. Patient and family education about risk factor reduction, nutrition and medication management are also important components of the program. Our case manager works closely with the patient and family to assure that care is coordinated and that post discharge services are appropriate.
Cardiopulmonary patients at HHH benefit from a full range of rehabilitative services dedicated to enabling them to resume active, independent lives.
- Physical Therapy to restore mobility, endurance and strength
- Occupational Therapy to improve endurance and stamina to complete activities of daily living
- Respiratory Therapy to help improve breathing techniques, control lung secretions, and use oxygen properly, if needed
- Rehabilitative Nurses specializing in cardiac dysrhythmia and treatment as well as pulmonary rehabilitation to monitor patients closely for individualized and optimal patient care
- Cardiac monitoring to assess patient’s heart rhythms and rate to adjust medication/activity on an individual level
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services, if needed for depression, anxiety, or difficulties adjusting
- Consultant Physicians to work with the team to address neurological, musculoskeletal or medical issues that interfere with progress in rehabilitation
- Nutrition Education to promote life long healthy eating
- Recreational Therapy Services such as adaptive sports
- Case Management & Discharge Planning services
- Follow-up care in the Outpatient Cardiac or Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programs and the HHH Wellness Center
The Helen Hayes Hospital Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Program is JCAHO and CARF Accredited.
For information on cardiac wellness, please click here.
For more information, please click here.
For more information, please contact the Helen Hayes Admission Referral Center:
1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4535
email@example.com To schedule a guided tour, call 845-786-4233