A Personal Approach to Care
At Helen Hayes Hospital’s Neurological Rehabilitation Program, patients benefit from a full range of rehabilitative services dedicated to enabling them to achieve the highest level of independence possible. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals.
Each patient receives treatment from a multidisciplinary rehabilitation team under the direction of a board certified physician specializing in neurological rehabilitation. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical, occupational and speech therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, dieticians and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family conferences.
Patients come to our Neurological Rehabilitation Program for assistance in managing disorders associated with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and other conditions. Typically, they have difficulty with functions such as walking, communicating and eating and may have may have bowel and bladder problems and pain.
Customized Treatment Plan
The goals of the rehabilitation program are tailored to the patient’s condition and needs. Individual goals may include independence in self-care at home or returning to work.
Patients with Multiple Sclerosis have access to the latest immunotherapies and innovative approaches to symptom control. The hospital retains an affiliation with the Southern New York Chapter of the MS Society.
Patients with ALS or Parkinson’s Disease will receive intensive treatments to alleviate symptoms of the disease, including difficulties with balance and stiffness, gait, posture, swallowing and cognition. Medication regimens can be adjusted to achieve maximum benefit.
Many patients benefit from a comprehensive spasticity program. Evaluations for intrathecal baclofen pumps, as well as pump refilling and adjustment, is also provided
Specialized Care Services
At Helen Hayes Hospital, we provide a full spectrum of services to restore confidence and help the patient resume full living, including:
- Physical Therapy to restore strength, balance & endurance
- Occupational therapy to restore the activities of daily living
- Speech Language Therapy
- Dysphagia (swallow) Therapy and Modified Barium Swallow Studies (Videoflouroscopy)
- Cognitive Therapy
- Rehabilitative Nursing
- Urodynamic testing
- Ventilator weaning & management/Respiratory Therapy
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Orthopedic/Orthotic Services on-site
- State of the art therapeutic equipment including Armeo, Bioness, Saeboflex, treadmill training, and VitalSlim, FEES
- Services of the Center for Rehabilitation Technology
- Medication Evaluation & Optimization
- Osteoporosis Evaluation (bone density testing)
- Nutrition Education
- Patient & Family Education
- Recreational Therapy Services
- Aquatic Therapy
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Pain Management
For more information, please contact the Helen Hayes Admission Referral Center:
1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4535
firstname.lastname@example.org To schedule a guided tour, call 845-786-4233