Helen Hayes Hospital is a national leader in the provision of superior physical rehabilitation services. Our patients benefit from a level of expertise unmatched for effectiveness and efficiency, which is why the HHH Outpatient Rehabilitation Center is the referral center of choice by healthcare professionals and patients.
The Outpatient Rehabilitation Center provides a comprehensive range of therapeutic services to adults and children, all customized to meet an individual’s specific needs and goals. Speech/Language and Audiology services are provided in dedicated outpatient therapy suites outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment. In addition, all outpatients have access to specialized services within the physical rehabilitation hospital, such as Aquatic Therapy, the Prosthetic Orthotic and Wellness Center, and the Center for Rehabilitation Technology, which may complement their therapeutic program.
Two Convenient Locations
Helen Hayes Hospital operates two Outpatient Rehabilitation Centers: one within the main rehabilitation hospital in West Haverstraw, and the second within Nyack Hospital in Nyack. The two sites conveniently serve individuals from throughout the Hudson Valley of New York, as well as northern New Jersey. The Centers are bright and spacious with private treatment stations and expansive exercise areas.
Who Can Benefit
The need for outpatient rehabilitation may arise from a traumatic or repetitive injury, a neurological disorder, or a chronic or congenital illness. A new injury or the progression of a recurring problem can all benefit from therapy. Our therapists treat children and adults with a wide range of conditions, including:
- traumatic brain injury
- spinal cord injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Guillain Barre
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- speech impairment
- hearing impairment
- cumulative trauma
The Outpatient Rehabilitation Center is staffed by a team of highly skilled, licensed and ASHA certified speech language pathologists and audiologists. Therapists excel at evaluating a patient’s capabilities and developing an individualized treatment plan.
Speech /Language Pathology & Audiology
The Outpatient Speech and Hearing service provides a full range of auditory and speech language pathology services, all aimed at improving a patient’s communication, cognitive and linguistic skills, hearing and swallowing abilities. A therapist licensed by NY State and certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association conducts a thorough diagnostic evaluation and develops an appropriate treatment plan, incorporating patient/family education components and necessary follow-up services. The program can help individuals who are tracheostomy or ventilator dependent or who have language delays or disorders, or who have hearing or swallowing disorders.
Comprehensive Diagnostic & Treatment Services
- Dysphagia (swallowing) evaluation & treatment by highly trained therapists with specialties in utilizing the most up-to-date treatment approaches including, but not limited to use of Vital Stim and Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) Service: allows direct visualization of throat and larynx while eating and drinking.*
- Videoflouroscopy Services: a specialized modified barium swallow study, followed by the identification and implementation of compensatory swallowing strategies and diet recommendations*
- voice therapy to remediate disorders in vocal quality, volume, prosody and resonance
- speaking valves and care for tracheostomy patients*
- language therapy to improve comprehension and expression
- cognitive retraining
- hearing evaluation to assess peripheral hearing & central auditory processing*
- auditory rehabilitation
- auditory monitoring for individuals taking ototoxic drugs*
*These services are available at the Center at HHH in West Haverstraw, only.
Patients may also benefit from the expertise of the hospital’s Center for Rehabilitation Technology, which provides augmentative and assistive communication evaluations and devices.
The Outpatient Rehabilitation Center accepts referrals from physicians and other healthcare professionals, who will be provided with a thorough follow-up report on your progress. For additional information, or to make an appointment, call:
West Haverstraw: 845-786-4306
Helen Hayes Hospital is JCAHO and CARF Accredited.