A Personal Approach to Care
Spinal cord injury affects a person’s total way of life, which is why it is vital to offer a broad range of services to address a patient’s full spectrum of needs. The comprehensive program cares for the patient throughout the continuum, from intensive inpatient rehabilitation through outpatient therapy, ongoing medical care, wellness and sports programs and opportunities to participate in clinical research. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals, while preventing future complications.
Each patient receives treatment from an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team under the direction of a board certified physiatrist with a specialty in spinal cord injury. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical, occupational and speech therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, psychologists, dieticians and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family and caregivers to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family education and conferences.
Individuals who have sustained injury due to trauma, acts of violence, tumors, sports injuries, spinal stenosis, compression fractures and transverse myelitis are all candidates for inpatient rehabilitation. The Program also treats patients with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and peripheral nervous system disorders, as well as myopathies and muscular dystrophies.
Click here to see how our spinal cord injury rehabilitation program helped patient Daymon’s recovery.
Customized Treatment Plan
The strength of the HHH Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program is its capacity to address all of the complex effects of spinal cord injury, including paraplegia and quadriplegia, respiratory disorders, bowel and bladder dysfunction, skin care and wounds and spasticity, as well as emotional and psychological issues related to adjustment to a new way of life. Patients are admitted directly into our specially designed and equipped spinal cord injury unit, which offers round-the-clock monitoring and the capability to care for patients with feeding tubes and ventilators. The acute rehabilitation program provides a full spectrum of services, along with access to highly specialized care and state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Dedicated 24-bed SCI Unit and therapy gym
- Patient rooms with internet access & environmental controls to maximize patient independence
- Medical leadership and care provided by a board certified physiatrist with specialty in SCI Medicine
- Medical consultation services including cardiology, urology, pulmonology, ENT, orthopedics, pain management
- 4/7 on-site physician/physician extender care
- Certified Rehabilitation Nursing
- Physical Therapy to restore mobility & strength
- Occupational Therapy to restore the activities of daily living
- Speech Language Therapy including Dysphagia/swallowing therapy, Videoflourscopy, FEES, VitalStim Therapy/E-Stim, speech-breathing/voice therapy with use of Passy-Muir Speaking Valve for patients with tracheostomy tubes and/or on mechanical ventilation
- State-of-the-art therapeutic equipment including: ReWalk, Vibration Therapy, Bioness upper extremity FES, RTS 300 FES bicycle, Armeo, Lite Gait
- Assistive technologies/Seating & Mobility Center
- Body weight supported treadmill training
- Recreational Therapy Services & Adaptive Sports
- Ventilator weaning & management/tracheostomy care/Respiratory Therapy
- In-house Orthotics department including WalkAide
- Virtual Reality Therapy
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Smart Apartment/Activities of Daily Living training
- Patient & Family Education/ in-house SCI education TV Channel
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Peer Mentoring
- Aquatic Therapy
- Nutrition Education
- Overnight transitional living apartment
- Sexual Counseling
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Spinal Cord Injury Support Group
Following inpatient rehabilitation, SCI patients may benefit from HHH’s full continuum of care, including:
- Outpatient Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy
- Peer Mentoring
- SCI Support Group
- Adapted Sports & Recreation
- Center for Rehabilitation Technology / Smart Apartment
- Aquatic (warm water pool) Therapy
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Osteoporosis Center
- Prosthetic & Orthotic Center
- Wellness Center
For family and friends traveling long distances who wish to visit with our patients with spinal cord injury, the hospital makes dormitory rooms available for overnight stays. This also allows loved ones to fully participate in the rehabilitation process, become educated as to the patient’s needs, while offering comfort and support.
The Helen Hayes Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Injury Rehabilitation Program is JCAHO and CARF Accredited.
For more information, please contact the Helen Hayes Admission Referral Center: 1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4535
To schedule a guided tour, call 845-786-4233
For comprehensive educational materials on SCI, please click here.
Think First Program
The “Think First” program is a nation-wide initiative focused on brain and spinal cord injury prevention. Offered through the hospital’s physical therapy department, therapists and former patients visit with students at local junior and senior high schools. During the presentation, they discuss safety precautions and injury prevention techniques and the medical consequences of injury. Former patients living with SCI share their personal experiences with the students. Find out more.
For information, or to schedule this community program, contact:
John Ficucello, PT
For more information on Spinal Cord Injuries visit:
American Spinal Cord Injury Association– http://www.asia-spinalinjury.org
National Spinal Cord Injury Association- http://www.spinalcord.org/
Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professional– http://www.academyscipro.org
Paralyzed Veterns of America– http://www.pva.org
International Spinal Cord Society– http://www.iscos.org.uk
Care Cure Community– http://www.CareCure.org
United Spinal– http://www.unitedspinal.org
Facing Disability- http://www.facingdisability.com