The hallmarks of physical rehabilitation:
Hope, Spirit & Achievement
And the promise of a new tomorrow
As one of the country’s very first specialty physical rehabilitation facilities, Helen Hayes Hospital has a well-earned reputation of excellence in rehabilitation medicine. For over 110 years, we have excelled in providing the medical, nursing and therapeutic care patients need to rebuild their lives following catastrophic injuries, debilitating surgeries and chronic disabling illnesses. Paired with state-of-the-art equipment and technology, this expertise enables our patients to move on to active and productive lives and return to work, school and home.
How do we make this possible? By providing an extensive continuum of care and an array of specialty rehabilitation services that are unmatched for effectiveness and efficiency. Our therapies and research initiatives are concentrated on helping patients with stroke, traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, and those with neurological, cardiopulmonary and orthopedic disorders to make the fullest possible recovery.
Founded in 1900, Helen Hayes Hospital is believed to be the first freestanding state-operated rehabilitation hospital in the United States. Today, it is one of the nation’s most dynamic and progressive rehabilitation facilities, recognized as a center of innovation and excellence in physical rehabilitation medicine and research. The hospital is ideally situated to care for patients from throughout the tri-state New York metropolitan region and beyond. Our reputation for excellence, earned over a century of care, is one reason that medical professionals refer their most complex rehabilitation cases to us and that patients choose us for their physical rehabilitation.
Although we are a hospital with a singular specialty, we are multifaceted and multidisciplinary in our approach to care. Our 155-bed state-of-the-art facility provides comprehensive medical and therapeutic services to people of all ages. Upon admission to a rehabilitation program, each patient is treated by a multidisciplinary team, consisting of specialty physicians, physical, occupational and speech therapists, nurses, recreation therapists, social workers, dieticians, and other professionals. The team works closely with the patient, family and insurer to ensure that rehabilitation goals are met in a timely and effective manner. HHH treats patients with a variety of disorders and special needs, including: traumatic spinal cord and brain injury; stroke; cardiac and pulmonary disorders; multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders; osteoporosis; multiple fractures; joint replacements; orthopedic disorders; and amputation. Outcome statistics demonstrate that the vast majority of patients return home following discharge.
The colorful banners that punctuate our campus are designed to let patients and first-time visitors to the hospital know that the hallmarks of rehabilitation are deeply ingrained in all we do.
We offer patients and families Hope. We foster a powerful and positive Spirit. And we challenge our patients and ourselves to Achieve. In short, we strive to make recovery a reality and we focus on the promise of a new tomorrow.
Consider these compelling reasons to choose Helen Hayes Hospital for rehabilitation care.
- 96% of HHH patients who are discharged home are caring for themselves at home 90 days after discharge.*
- 97% of HHH patients report satisfaction with the services they received at HHH.*
- 95% of patients treated at Helen Hayes Hospital would recommend HHH to others.**
- Our physicians hold appointments at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and academic affiliations with Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. They are published in professional medical journals and lecture internationally.
- Accredited from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- Accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation facilities (CARF) for thirteen of its programs, including:
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Amputation Specialty Program (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Brain Injury Program (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Brain Injury Program (Children/Adolescents)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Spinal Cord System of Care (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Spinal Cord System of Care (Children/Adolescents)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Hospital: Stroke Specialty program (Adults)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs-Skilled Nursing (Adults)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Brain Injury Program (Adults)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Brain Injury Program (Children/Adolescents)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Spinal Cord System of Care (Adults)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Spinal Cord System of Care (Children/Adolescents)
- Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Stroke Specialty Program (Adults)
- Disability-specific inpatient units where patients benefit from expert care.
- Our programs and services and our professionals have been featured in national and international media.
- HHH is well known for its extensive array of specialty services not found it most rehabilitation settings, including its Prosthetic Orthotic Center, Center for Rehabilitation Technology, Wellness Center and Warm Water Aquatic Facility.
- Helen Hayes is the recipient of millions of dollars in grants for ongoing research from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), private foundations and other organizations.
* As reported by a 90 day post discharge survey
** As reported by Press Ganey